Ottawa Storage Moving Checklist – click here for a downloadable copy
Moving is one of the most common reasons that people choose self storage. Moving can be frustrating without the planning and preparation. Use the below checklist to help to keep you organized for your move, and keep your move as efficient as possible.
Four Weeks before Moving:
- Arrange moving trucks and or movers
- Create a plan for the new location on where items will be going to help with labeling boxes to be packed. Define rooms, and any other details that may help with labeling
- Start to clean out closets, the garage and attic and structure items that can be packed without being missed and get them packed as soon as possible
- Identify items that are no longer required and donate, organize a garage sale, or dispose
- Recycle electronics that you won’t be moving
- Purchase packing supplies – make sure that you have enough packing material to help to organize and speed packing. See the blog post Packing Tips For Your Move for help with packing
- Send change of address forms, and organize mail redirection with the Post Office
- Arrange insurance for the new location, and schedule or cancel existing insurance a few days after the move, just in case the move takes longer than expected
- Obtain copies of school and medical records
- Get a self storage unit from Gladwin Self Storage! With a storage unit you can start to stage you move in advance, and move items to start to declutter, as well as have a place for items that are for the new location
- Secure the elevator if required for the day of the move
- Arrange to transfer school records
- Notify the below of the date and change of address:
Magazine / newspaper subscriptions
Cable / Internet / Telephone
Credit card providers
Clubs and organizations
Lawn / Snow maintenance
- Order new services and subscriptions for the new address
- Let your neighbors know of the move – they may want to provide some welcome help!
Two Weeks Before Moving:
- Return library books
- Return borrowed items and rented items, and round up items lent out
- Make arrangements for the safe disposal of items you won’t be moving, including old medications, paints or other hazardous materials
Seven Days Before Moving:
- Make arrangements for child and pet care for moving day
- Finish packing everything other than the necessities. Be sure to keep available:
Cleaning supplies for final clean
Moving snacks / food
Necessary pet items
- Empty and defrost fridge and freezer
- Arrange sitters for children / pets
- Reconfirm access timeline for the new address
The Day before Moving Day:
- Pick up food, beverages or other supplies for moving day
- Clean the fridge, stove, washer, dryer, microwave and bbq
- Reconfirm sitters, movers / moving truck and moving help
- Have on hand anything that will keep your moving help inspired! With Ottawa weather that may mean cold or hot beverages.
Food / snacks …and anything else that will keep the helpers motivated!
- Keep cash on hand for any last min. requirements
- Strip beds and cover mattresses with mattress bags
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
If you need some temporary space in your move for any period of time, be sure to call the experts at Gladwin Self Storage for your Ottawa move.
Give us a call for a free quote – Gladwin Self Storage has Ottawa’s Lowest Price Guarantee!