Packing can be some tedious work; however can be a significant time saver if properly planned. While there isn’t much that we can do to help to make the process more fun, we can provide some tips to help you to make the most of your packing time.
1) Plan, Plan, Plan! Simplify the chore of packing with some planning, to make sure that you have all of the materials that you need. You will want boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, tape and markets, stickers, matrass bags along with any furniture cover that you will require, BRFORE you start packing.
2) Take pictures of any items that you are taking apart at the start of the process, as well as intermittently when going through the process. Having photos will help out when you need to put it back together, particularly if you are stashing the screws in a safe place.
3) Tape those boxes closed! Boxes that are sealed with tape will prevent dust and moving grime from getting in.
4) Wrap furniture legs with bubble wrap, and use furniture covers or pads wherever possible to prevent scratching.
5) Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easier assembly later. Place covers or plastic bags on mattresses to keep them clean during storage.
6) Label boxes on all sides for easy identification, and highlight boxes with fragile or critical items. You may want to label boxes that are heavy, or have an awkward weight balance, as this may save an avalanche later on.
7) Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
8) Make use of the space inside of dresser drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators to store small, light items such as towels, linens and small, fragile items. Packed well, it will be a nice, rigid box for those items.
9) Standardize on a box size. Uniform box sizes will be easier to stack, and will make better use of your storage space and moving truck.
10) Pack heavy items such as books and tools in small boxes, with labels identifying them
These tips should help to make packing for that move just a little bit easier. If you are planning for a move, be sure to pop by Gladwin Self Storage in Ottawa, we carry a full line of moving and packing supplies, as well as the lowest price guarantee. Contact us today!